The Student News Site of Homewood High School

The Homewood Tricorne

The Homewood Tricorne

The Homewood Tricorne

Eighth Grade Brigade lends helping hand

Ryan Murrell
The Eighth Grade Brigade

This football season, The Homewood Patriot Marching Band welcomed its youngest members yet: Students in the Homewood Middle School band who serve as Friday night helpers to the nearly 400-member band. 

The idea for the program was conceived by Ryan Murrell, Head Director of the HMS band. 

The group, also known as the “Eighth Grade Brigade,” has many duties that include anything the band directors or section leaders might need help with during Friday night football games, such as passing out water and Cheez-Its after halftime and helping band members clean up after the game. 

“They’re always there to make sure that everything that needs to be done is done,” said Maren Smith, one of the HHS band’s drum majors. 

Murrell initiated the program when he asked middle school band students if they wanted to join. Their responses were filled with enthusiasm, and many students were eager to help out.  

Since so many students were interested in joining, the program became selective and now consists mostly of the younger siblings of current high school band members.  

“If they had the opportunity, they would all come and help,” said Murrell.

The program allows the helpers to get a glimpse of what their future might look like through this opportunity for them to immerse themselves in the band’s Friday night operations. 

Getting an inside look at the high school band also allows the students to develop future goals, such as becoming a drum major or section leader.

“There are a couple who like to learn how to conduct, which is something I think is really sweet as a drum major,” said Smith.

“The middle schoolers want to help and be a part of it because they know that eventually, that’s where they’ll be going,” said Murrell, “overall, they want to learn as much as they can.”

Donate to The Homewood Tricorne
$1370
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

If you are enjoying our content, please consider donating to The Homewood Tricorne! Your donation will support the student journalists of Homewood High School and will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website costs.