The Student News Site of Homewood High School

The Homewood Tricorne

The Homewood Tricorne

The Homewood Tricorne

Patriot boys soccer takes home seventh state title

Varsity+soccer+celebrating+after+winning+state.+
Jackson Gardner
Varsity soccer celebrating after winning state.

The Homewood Patriots met the Spanish Fort Toros for the 6A boys state championship in Huntsville on Saturday, May 11th.

In a game that displayed great physicality from both squads, it was the Patriots who used an offensive power and a gritty defensive game to win the state championship 3-1.

Captain Will Jackson scored right off the bat a minute and a half into the contest to give the Patriots an early 1-0 lead. Putting the Homewood faithful on their feet early.

The majority of the first half showed some grit and toughness from both Spanish Fort and Homewood.

Will Jackson scored his second goal of the day on a free kick with 19 minutes left to play in the first half. 

The rest of the first half was a defensive grind for the two squads. Both teams struggling to get anything going offensively.  

Homewood lead 2-0 at halftime.

Both teams struggled to find any rhythm offensively coming out of the break, both going into the other’s territory, but failing to respond.

Homewood’s Charlie Herring broke the defensive battle by shooting inside to make it a 3-0 lead for Homewood with 22 minutes left in the contest.

The Toros did find the net with 11 minutes remaining. Dylan Gaynor scored on a deep kick from the left side to bring the Toros within 2.

Spanish Fort had multiple opportunities to score after their lone goal, but the Homewood defense was stellar just had it been all game. 

The rest of the game was basically keep away for the Patriots. They dribbled out until the scoreboard at John Hunt Park hit double zeros, giving the Patriots its seventh state championship in program history.

Head coach Julian Kersh, who already has 2 state titles in his coaching career, was very excited about the win, with the huge accomplishment months in the making.

“It’s a fantastic feeling,” Kersh said. “It feels amazing to celebrate with the players, especially because it’s everyone’s first one to win.”

Kersh also noticed the brotherhood that was formed along with way throughout this journey and he believes that it was the reasoning behind their successful tenure.

“We were able to marry the talent level we had with a really tight-knitted group,” Kersh said. “Some of these guys are best friends and those who aren’t best friends still get along really well. I enjoyed getting to come to practice and see them.”

Will Jackson, who was also named MVP of the game, is both relieved and ecstatic about a championship for his final year along with the rest of the senior class.

“Myself, along with other seniors have been working towards this moment for 3 years now,” Jackson said. “To finally be able to accomplish this feeling is euphoric. It feels great to be a part of the 1/7 state championship teams in this program.”

Jackson is also heading to Wake Forest on a soccer scholarship in the fall. He feels this gave him great momentum heading into college soccer.

“It gives me a lot of confidence moving forward in my career,” Jackson said.

The Patriots already have their eyes set on the 2025 state title. They hope this accomplishment builds confidence heading into next season.

Donate to The Homewood Tricorne
$1370
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

If you are enjoying our content, please consider donating to The Homewood Tricorne! Your donation will support the student journalists of Homewood High School and will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website costs.