New parking lots, how they’ve helped

Mary Clare Ingram
HHS parking lot

With Homewood High School’s new parking lot project complete, more students can now park on the school campus. 

Tony Lott, an administrator at HHS describes how 500 of the 1,300 students, 190 faculty, and approximately 20 to 25 visitors park on the school campus every weekday.

Even with around 710 people parking on campus, leaving the school only takes 20 minutes on average.

The new parking lots allow many more people to park on campus while still being able to consistently finish carpooling at the same time as last year. 

“We sit down at the beginning of the year and we discuss the issues, the possible problems,” said Lott.

Potholes were a rising problem on Armoury Road and on the bridge connecting Lakeshore and the high school, two routes that all students and teachers use to get to the school.

Lott explains that it’s the city of Homewood’s job to patch those potholes and they have been constantly doing so.

One pothole has recently been filled on the lakeshore bridge, proving that the city has been taking care of the roads.

Lena Holly, a senior parking in the new blue parking lot says that getting in and out of school property hasn’t been difficult but the drive across Armoury Road has been slow.

“Teachers have helped a great deal by directing traffic,” said Holly.

This goes to show that Homewood High School’s new parking lots have been successful in fitting almost every student and staff on the school campus while still being able to run carpool just as fast.

$1370
$1500