Undesirable state finish, motivated for next year

HWD T&F Instagram
Homewood track and field team

With all of the projected point-scoring runners qualifying for state after a successful sectional meet, Homewood track had a successful end to its season.

Head coach Logan Cornutt was pleased with the outcome of sectionals.

“Our team performance on both the guys and girl’s side was phenomenal,” Cornutt said.

Cornutt said everyone bonded over sectionals and everything that needed to happen to go to state happened.

“I believe that we have a chance at doing really well on both the guys and girl’s side this weekend in Gulf Shores,” Cornutt said before state.

At state, the track team did just that, with boys placing 3rd and the girls placing 5th.

While they didn’t place where they wanted as a whole many athletes set personal records.

Emma Brooke Levering placed 1st place in the 1600m and 3200m run, Elliott Allen placed 2nd place in pole vault, Colvin Bussey placed 2nd place in 800m run, Davis Griffin placed 3rd place in javelin, and the boys and girls 4x800m relay team both finished 3rd with the girls 4x800m team setting a new school record including various other point scoring performances.

“We had a tremendous effort by everyone who qualified and I couldn’t be happier,” said Cornutt.

Cornutt said Homewood set PBs in almost every event they competed in.

Junior runner Madeline Alford is proud of the team’s performance and is ready for next year. 

Alford said the track team is more motivated after this year to win state than ever because of the result.

“We want revenge,” Alford said.

$1370
$1500