Homewood progresses on road to championship

HHS+soccer+team+competes+in+state+semi-final+in+Huntsville.+
Nate Shull
HHS soccer team competes in state semi-final in Huntsville.

The Homewood Patriots Boys Varsity Soccer team took care of business on Thursday, May 9, as they punched their ticket to the state final. The Patriots ousted the reigning state champs, the Fort Payne Wildcats, in the state semi-final game in Huntsville. 

The Wildcats knocked out the Patriots in last year’s state semi-final on their path to the state championship. However, the Patriots were seen as the favorites in this year’s matchup.

The tension from last year created a passionate clash between the two sides. The match on the field proved to be just that. 

The first half of the game got off to a rather slow start, but the game slowly progressed and intensity increased. There weren’t many scoring opportunities early, but both teams seemed eager to get the opening goal. 

That opening goal came from none other than Patriots star Will Jackson. Jackson wriggled through the defense and then put a skillful finish into the back of the net. 

The goal brought the fans and student section to a level of excitement that wasn’t previously present in the game. The fans remained excited through the end of the first half. 

Going into the second half the Patriots hoped to build off the late goal. The squad came out with a lot of energy. 

However, Fort Payne was still very much in the game. Homewood coach, Julian Kersh, spoke to the skill of the opposing squad. 

“Their players play great…it’s always a tough match playing against them,” Kersh said. 

For most of the second half the Wildcats’ defense held off the ongoing Patriots’ attack. The Patriots had a few good scoring opportunities, but could not get the ball to the back of the net. 

Late into the second half, a second Homewood goal looked imminent, and it seemed that the fans could sense that. The goal finally came with two and a half minutes left to play. 

Midfielder, Haines Durkin, dribbled through two Fort Payne defenders with a lovely bit of skill, and then crossed the ball to Charley Chewning for the second goal. Durkin’s moves even got him a feature on ABC3340’s local news broadcast. 

Haines Durkin, 17, celebrates during the game. (Nate Shull)

Fans and players from both sides knew that the second goal would be decisive. The game ended shortly thereafter, and the Patriots were on their way to the Championship game. 

Coach Kersh was happy with the hard-fought win.

“I’m really happy with the boys just grinding this one out,” Kersh said. 

The players were elated with the result, one of which being the second-half goal scorer, Charley Chewning. 

“[Winning this game] is all I’ve been thinking about since we won the third round,” Chewning said. But the team can’t celebrate for too long. Chewning emphasized the importance of staying “locked in” until the Championship game. 

The state Championship game will be at 9 AM on Saturday, May 11. The Patriots squad wants as many fans to show up for the championship match as possible. The fans and support have made a real difference in this postseason. 

$1370
$1500