Eagle Scouts soar with community service

As many Boy Scouts at HHS are balancing busy schedules and school work, they are also completing their Eagle Scout Projects and acquiring certain merit badges to rise to the rank of Eagle Scout. 

The Eagle Scout Project is a community service project aimed at the betterment of the Scout’s community.

To obtain the rank of Eagle Scout, they must complete their project before they graduate from the Boy Scouts organization. 

In preparation for their projects, troops organize a number of service projects and campouts aimed at helping Boy Scouts earn valuable skills needed for earning the rank of Eagle Scout.  

Each troop is appointed a Scoutmaster who is the adult program leader. They provide guidance to the youth leadership team in making decisions about meetings, camping trips, and community service.

Ramey Harrell, father of HHS junior and Boy Scout Henry Harrell, was appointed Scoutmaster of Troop 79 in 2018 and served until 2023. After serving for 5 years, Harrell is now the Adult Troop Committee chairman. 

While Scoutmaster, Harrell and his troop completed a number of community service projects and participated in many campouts. 

Some of my favorite service projects include installing AEDs on Lakeshore trail, building a K9 Smell Wall for the Homewood Police Department and an exercise station at Red Mountain Park,” Harrell said. 

These service projects allow the Scouts to experience the kind of work they would be doing for their Eagle Scout project.        

“A scout must identify, plan, gain approval, execute, and obtain sponsor sign-off on a project that meaningfully impacts their community,” Harrell said. 

His son Henry recently completed his Eagle Scout project. 

“I built raised garden beds at my church for people with dementia,” Harrell said. “There are rules that the project can’t directly benefit you and you have to design and plan it.” 

Harrell not only helped the community by completing his project but also gained important life skills that will prove beneficial later in his life. 

“The real point of the Eagle Scout project is proving that you can lead on an organized project,” says Harrell. “It’s supposed to be a blueprint for how projects in life should go.”  

The scouts must prepare the project by acquiring permits, creating designs, raising funds, and buying any supplies they may need, all while staying within a certain time frame and budget. 

HHS Senior Barrett Bridgmon recently earned the rank of Eagle Scout. His service project was building two recreational swings at the Trinity West campus for adults attending the outreach program.

“I was hanging out at the Trinity West campus church and realized they didn’t have recreation for adults at the outreach center,” Bridgemon said. 

The outreach center provides meals and activities for adults and children from other countries, new to the city. 

“I had to get the project approved by the council board and do a lot of paperwork for how you’re going to do the project when you’re going to do it, and how much it will cost,” Bridgemon said. 

The scouts are the managers of their project and must complete it with no outside help at all before they graduate. 

The Eagle Scout Project, while challenging, provides Scouts with leadership qualities they will use throughout their adult life. 

$1370
$1500