HWD Strong program promotes fitness for faculty

Homewood City Schools offers its employees numerous health and fitness opportunities through Homewood Strong- a program that promotes healthy habits and exercises while building community among coworkers.

The program initially started under Nivada Spurlock, former HHS teacher and coach, when she felt there was a need to implement a fitness program for teachers. When she retired about 5 years ago, the program unfortunately left with her. 

Years later, Shades Cahaba P.E. coach and district wellness coordinator Genie Christian took over the program after noticing the void, wanting to create weekly wellness opportunities for Homewood faculty members. There was again a push to develop a faculty and staff wellness program and was rebirthed as Homewood Strong. 

“We wanted to incorporate a wellness program in Homewood again,” Christian said. “It was a a part of a new strategic plan to bring fitness to faculty.”

Each school in the district has a coordinator within the wellness program. They help keep tabs on what the faculty wants for the program within their respective school and what classes can be offered there on physical activity, social and emotional wellness and nutrition. 

Rachel Loughney, HHS English teacher and campus coordinator for Homewood Strong at HHS, is extremely passionate about the program. 

“I knew it was right up my alley because I love the fitness aspect of it and I am also all about community and fellowship,” Loughney said. “I went to Dr. Henneke and was granted the role.” 

Loughney appreciates how the program has provided her with a large sense of community within the Homewood City Schools district. 

“It was a great opportunity to get to know people in the building and see what needs our faculty needed fitness-wise,” Loughney said. “It can be hard to have relationships with other teachers since we are in the pod all day. I have been able to meet new faces and people across the district, and that is what the program is all about in conjunction to fitness.”

Classes are offered Monday through Thursday, varying from Zumba to strength training led by D1 Fitness, a local gym, in the HHS weight room. There are walking groups at Shades Cahaba, yoga at Edgewood and even zentangle drawing classes offered daily. 

There are also some instructors outside of Homewood who lead classes across the schools. 

“We have hired a couple of individuals to come and teach our classes,” Christian said. “We have yoga at Hall Kent, strength training, a hit class at the HHS weight room and we have various challenges every other month like Fit February or Walktober.”

Christian is in charge of most of the communication for the program, sending out monthly newsletters of classes and an overview for the month or challenge. 

“The other school leaders also follow up on information and offer suggestions for the week,” Christian said. 

The program has paired with other organizations to help teachers who can’t attend Homewood Strong classes still be able to be active at gyms or workout programs, giving them a substantial discount for their membership. Homewood Strong has helped teachers district-wide not only be able to prioritize fitness but also build stronger relationships amongst their colleagues.

$1320
$1500