HHS Youth Leadership makes positive impact

Madeleine Ann Brockwell
Carmen Klimcak engaging with Hall Kent Elementary mentees.

The HHS Youth Leadership class offers a unique opportunity for junior and senior students to get involved in student life at all levels of the school system. The group of 28 finds ways everyday to maintain a positive atmosphere within Homewood City Schools and set a good example through their leadership.

Holly Drake and Mary Stoffregen, HHS youth leadership co-teachers, designed the class following a push for new electives at Homewood for the 2022-2023 school year. The pair felt there was a void in the school for this kind of curriculum, and they quickly developed a vision.

“Our mission statement is that Homewood Youth Leadership will influence students to create positive change in the school community by being respectful, empathetic, kind, aware and supportive.” Stoffregen said.

To fulfill this vision, the class follows a unit system which covers the fundamentals of leadership and mentoring.

“We do a lesson on active listening, a mental illness project, positive social media presence, resilience and some others.” Stoffregen said, “We also have speakers come in, like Mayor McClusky or superintendent Hefner, who will speak to us about different leadership topics like public speaking.”

Students get the opportunity to enact the skills they learn through the built-in mentorship program which includes their training. First semester, the class ventures to the Homewood Middle School one to three times a week and second semester to Hall Kent Elementary to meet with younger students and act as a role model.

“The goal is different for every kid,” Stoffregen said. “For the middle school students we have more structured lessons like on friendship, work ethic, communication or whatever, because they’re older and a bit more mature. Students aren’t required to do the lesson every week, because sometimes the kids just need a positive part of their day or someone to throw the football with.”

Stoffregen says that the mentor program’s purpose at Hall Kent is to provide a positive older person in the kids’ lives from the start. Mentors will bring board games and just sit and talk with the elementary kids about whatever they want to form a unique bond. 

Katharine Fitts conversing with her mentee (Madeleine Ann Brockwell)

Carmen Klimcak, HHS junior and Youth Leadership student, has loved participating in the class, particularly the mentoring program. She and her peers do their best to use their training and social awareness to aid their mentees as much as possible.

“It’s made an impact on me,” Klimcak said. “Some of these kids have anxiety, are struggling academically or have stuff going on at home and to have the opportunity to be a positive light in their life is really special. We just try to help them the best we can.”

In addition to helping younger kids and engaging in curriculum units, the class does many projects around the high school. These can include celebrating the custodial staff with encouraging letters and sweet treats, taking photos to highlight positivity in the school or even assisting teachers with classroom needs.

Stoffregen says that the class has been so successful Shades Cahaba and Edgewood Elementary are now requesting mentors, and other high schools are forming their own youth leadership classes as well because of Homewood’s success.

“We have been super fortunate in the last two years to have the most well rounded students from Homewood High and I think that they’re definitely making a difference in the community and it shows.” Stoffregen said.

$1320
$1500