Soaring to new heights: Harrell to attend Air Force Academy

Harrell takes in the mountain views at the Academy’s Colorado Springs campus (photo by April Harrell).

Marin Poleshek, Managing Editor

While most Homewood graduates will spend their summers relaxing and packing for college, senior Owen Harrell has radically different plans. After all, it is no small feat to be accepted into the Air Force Academy.

Instead of loading the car with dorm supplies, he will take only a backpack to school. Instead of lazy days on the beach, he will prepare for grueling base training.

Unbeknownst to many, the Air Force Academy is among the most competitive schools in the nation. With an acceptance rate of only 10%, applying to this prestigious academy is daunting to even the most accomplished students. Harrell, though, refused to be deterred.

“It’s a great opportunity for high school seniors,” he said. “I figured my chances of getting in were about 50/50.”

Unlike most college applications, which require a few letters of recommendation and writing supplements, the Air Force Academy application is incredibly involved. For Harrell, the process totaled almost half a year, beginning in July and lasting until late December. During these months, he completed a slew of requirements, including fitness testing, medical examinations, and even a congressional nomination.

On top of this, Harrell notes that his résumé had to be in tip-top shape. Leadership is among the Air Force’s highest values, meaning applicants must actively participate in their communities while fulfilling all other requirements. 

Harrell powers down the field during a soccer game (photo by Fred Frank).

For Harrell, demonstrating leadership was one of the easier parts of the application. Not only is he a prospective Eagle Scout, but he also serves as senior class president and captain of the soccer team.

“Luckily, I had lots of leadership experience,” he remarked. “But I still had no idea if I was going to get in or not.”

The Academy, though, was undoubtedly impressed with his skills. While over 85% of applicants do not receive an admissions decision until spring, Harrell received his in early January. And it was an acceptance. 

“My parents definitely cried,” he laughed. “They are terrified for me but also very excited.”

For both Harrell and his family, this achievement was monumental. Becoming a pilot has been a longtime dream of his, and the Academy is the best place to pursue that goal. Not only do students receive a world-class education at no cost, but they are also guaranteed a position in their selected field upon graduation. Though Harrell has yet to declare a major, he is considering aeronautical engineering or economics.

“There are so many doors it can open,” he remarked. “It really sets you up for the rest of your life.”

In contrast to most colleges, which welcome students sometime in August, the Air Force Academy requires first-year students to report on June 28.

For the six weeks until classes start, Harrell and his fellow freshmen will engage in an intense regime of basic training. Additionally, recruits will learn how to march, stand at attention and grow accustomed to military life. 

“I don’t know if I’m prepared for it,” Harrell said. “You’re just totally jumping into it.”

Harrell poses on his first visit to the Air Force Academy (photo by April Harrell).

Among the most startling transitions for Academy students is the lack of their belongings. During basic training, recruits are prohibited from having cell phones. On top of that, they are only allowed to bring two personal items to school. Upon arrival at the Academy, they are provided with a full wardrobe of military fatigues along with anything else their training might require.

“It’s pretty daunting,” Harrell admitted. “I’m trying to wrap my head around what it will look like.”

Challenges aside, Harrell is looking forward to experiencing all that the Academy has to offer. Located in Colorado Springs, there is certainly no shortage of things to explore outside of the university’s walls. There are also endless opportunities for life beyond school, as the Academy enables students to start their jobs immediately upon graduation. For Harrell, this will look like five to ten years of military service, hopefully as a pilot. 

In terms of advice for prospective Air Force students, Harrell highlights “starting early” as the key to success. He suggests searching for leadership positions as early as sophomore year and committing to the activities you enjoy. According to him, the Academy would rather see candidates express dedication to one pursuit rather than stretch themselves thin among many.

As Harrell prepares to leave Homewood, his emotions are a mix of ecstasy and sentimentality. Having grown up in this community, he cherishes the memories and friendships he has developed over the years. However, he is also excited to try something new. In his perspective, challenge and excitement go hand in hand.

“I’m ready to switch it up,” he said. “I’ve had lots of fun here, but I’m ready to see what I can do.”