Students prepare for AP exams

Resources+used+by+students+to+prepare+for+AP+exams.+
Emerson Buck
Resources used by students to prepare for AP exams.

Homewood High School offers 20 Advanced Placement courses with over 65% of students enrolled in at least one of these classes.  

Students have begun to prepare for the upcoming AP Exams. The exams will begin Mon. May 6 and end Fri. May 17. 

HHS students are very involved in many extracurriculars so students increasingly need to find a balance between academics and extracurricular activities when studying for exams. 

AP Psychology teacher Christine Morman thinks students struggle to create a realistic schedule and then stick to it. 

“I try to remind my students that this is a short period of time and they will have a lot of time to do whatever they want once their exams are over,” Morman said. “The temporary pain is worth the gain.” 

Homewood’s teachers have worked hard to help students prepare for the exams throughout the year, but now it is time to focus strictly on exams. 

During each unit, Morman has encouraged her students to create flashcards with important vocabulary terms. Now, students who have completed these cards have the perfect resource to study with. 

Studying continuously throughout the year is very beneficial when exam season arrives. 

She also encourages students to use review books, AP classroom videos, Quizlets and note packets.

Morman incentivizes her students to study more by offering bonus opportunities and providing study sessions leading up to the exam. She also thinks studying with peers is beneficial. 

“I encourage my students to use one another as resources, as they may prepare better if they work with someone else outside of school who will help keep them motivated, encouraged and on task,” Morman said. 

HHS senior Naomi Jones is in seven AP classes this year. She learned that mock exams are the best way to prepare. 

“As annoying as it is to take the exam, timing yourself and getting a feel for the exam is super important,” Jones said. 

She recommends asking your teacher to open up the practice tests provided by AP Classroom, the College Board’s resource for AP students. 

Jones says that after taking the mock exam, looking over missed answers and seeing what went wrong is very helpful. Studying the units with frequently missed questions will help direct focus. 

Homewood’s AP Biology teacher Molly Knudsen is offering her students time outside of school hours to come and take an optional mock exam. 

In addition to practice exams, Jones likes watching YouTube videos and using the Barrons prep books. 

Jones also sees benefits in studying with classmates. 

Morman stresses the best way to prepare strategically is to plan ahead. She recommends a calendar with study times for each subject, especially if a student is taking multiple AP exams. 

Jones believes that it is necessary to prioritize school and not procrastinate when preparing for exams. 

Although studying is important, it is essential to make sure to not overwork yourself. 

“I try to remind my students that studying is important, using your time wisely, staying focused, and they must eat, sleep and take breaks to stay their best,” Morman said.

AP Exam Schedule

Monday, May 6, 2024

8am: AP Government Exam

12pm: AP Chemistry Exam

Tuesday, May 7, 2024

8am: AP Statistics Exam

Wednesday, May 8, 2024

8am: AP Literature Exam

12pm: AP Computer Science A Exam

Thursday, May 9, 2024

8am: AP Environmental Science Exam

12pm: AP Psychology Exam

Friday, May 10, 2024

8am: AP European History Exam

8am: AP US History Exam

12pm: AP Macroeconomics Exam

Monday, May 13, 2024

8am: AP Calculus AB & BC Exam

12pm: AP Precalculus Exam

Tuesday, May 14, 2024

8am: AP English Language Exam

12pm: AP Physics C: Mechanics Exam

2pm: AP Physics C: E & M Exam

Wednesday, May 15, 2024

8am: AP French Language Exam

12pm: AP Computer Science Principles Exam

Thursday, May 16, 2024

8am: AP Spanish Language Exam

12pm: AP Biology Exam

Friday, May 17, 2024

8am: AP Physics 1 Exam

12pm: AP Latin Exam

$1320
$1500