Homewood track sprints into a new season

Tomon+Felton+long+jumping+at+indoor+state+this+season.+
Zaire White
Tomon Felton long jumping at indoor state this season.

Homewood’s outdoor track season is off to a good start; the team has competed in three meets thus far and has many to come. 

On Thurs. Feb. 22 the season kicked off with their first meet in Mountain Book at the Battle Royale. 

It was a five-team meet, with the boys placing first. 

Logan Cornutt, the Homewood High School varsity track coach, says the meet was a good indicator of how the team is doing early in the season. 

Kellen Coldrin lining up before his race.

Cornutt thinks upcoming meets will be “a true measuring stick of where we are.” 

Last year, the track team lost a number of key runners, but current runners are filling the gap this season. The team has a promising roster of athletes this year.  

The boys won the 4×400 at indoor state, securing second place for the boy’s team. They are hoping to repeat this success during outdoor state. 

Cornutt is hoping the team can “develop the depth that is needed to compete for a state championship.”

The team’s goal this year is to make it to the state championship and win. Cornutt is confident his athletes will give it their all to do so. 

The team is now shifting focus toward the Mountian Brook Invitational coming up on April 12th

Indoor boys track team after placing second at state. (Zaire White)

and 13th. “The competition is stacked and the conditions for the meet are great,” HHS junior runner Colvin Bussey said.

Homewood’s track team is well-rounded, but mid-distance and distance events have historically been the team’s strength. 

The team is working to improve all events this year and hopes to advance the mid-distance and distance events even more. 

“We are all just working on improving and getting better every day. We approach each day with a state championship mindset and are working towards that goal,” Cornutt said.  

$1320
$1500