HHS art gallery spotlights student talent

Madeleine Ann Brockwell
HHS student Bailey Zinn observing Gallery 1901 artwork.

Gallery 1901 is Homewood High’s newest installment to showcase student talent. The gallery is located across from the front office entry way and will be used to display art students’ latest projects.

HHS art teacher Carolyn Coker was the primary advocate for the gallery’s installment. With the help of a grant from the Homewood City Schools foundation, her vision came to life.

“The purpose of this gallery is to have a designated, permanent place to showcase student art,” Coker said. “I was originally using cork stips and butcher paper in the cafeteria and old front office, but I really wanted to have something that was permanent and easier on me as the teacher, so we made it a magnet board.”

Both the name and design of the gallery were carefully chosen. The 1901 is a nod to the school’s address on Lakeshore Drive while the red stripe and white lettering on the display pay tribute to famous visual artist Barabara Kruger. 

“Kruger is an artist from the ‘70s which is when the Homewood School District was established, and I wanted to give a nod to her,” Coker said. “As far as her aesthetic, she does these red banners across her photography with some sort of slogan or wording that not only creates visual interest but causes people to stop and ponder what they’re looking at.”

HHS junior Bailey Zinn is appreciative for the opportunity to have her work displayed outside of the art room.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for all of us,” Zinn said. “I feel like there’s sometimes a larger emphasis on the other parts of the art department like show choir and band that sometimes we’re overlooked in the school, so it’s definitely nice to be recognized.”

Coker plans to have the artwork in the gallery rotating monthly to allow for all of her students’ talent to be showcased.

$1320
$1500