Varsity soccer cruises to continue perfect area record

Nate Shull
Haines Durkin unleashes a shot into the top corner of the net against area opponent Parker on March 6. Durkin scored two goals in the Patriots 10-0 victory.

The Homewood Patriots boys varsity soccer team added on to their impressive season with a 10-0 win against area opponent Parker. The team remains undefeated in area play with a perfect 3-0 record.

Any fan in Waldrop Stadium knew how the game was going to go from the opening touches. Homewood’s quickness got them off to a hot start with a Will Jackson goal four minutes after the opening touch. 

Less than a minute later The Patriots bagged two quick goals coming from the feet of Banks Landgren and Andy Platt.

After the quick start, the Patriots cruised, scoring seven more goals within the half to solidify the win. Silky midfield play provided continuous opportunities that led to a plethora of goals. Nine players made it onto the scoresheet, with junior Haines Durkin bagging two goals. 

Patriots led 10-0 with seven minutes left to play. (Nate Shull)

Alongside the great attacking effort, the defense put in a great shift, not allowing a single shot-on goal from the opposing attack. 

The squad was all-around content with the effort put in and the team’s play throughout the game. Defender Allen Shanks testified to the simple, yet effective play that won them the game. 

“I think we moved the ball around quite nicely, and just put the ball in the back of the net,” Shanks said. 

While this game was a great step forward in the season, there is still work to be done. The season is only about halfway through, and to maintain success the team needs to keep growing with each performance. 

Coach Julian Kersh was pleased with the win but emphasized the importance of not getting arrogant throughout the season. 

“I think maybe we were guilty, early in the season, of being overconfident,” Kersh said. “However, the team has continued to grow and learn week in and week out, playing against some of the best teams from around the state.” 

To continue playing at the highest level they can, Kersh continues to project the significance of the team being fully bought in to each training session and game. 

“You have to have a full team that bought into this mentality of getting better every single game,” Kersh said.

Kersh says complacency among players is what can hinder a team as a whole. Just a few players not giving their all can negatively affect the entire roster.  

Focus and hard work is necessary going into the next spell of games for the team. This Friday they travel down to Gulf Shores to play against some quality opponents in the Island Cup. Alongside the tournament this weekend the team plays big games against Thompson on March 13 and Hoover March 15.

$1320
$1500

$1320
$1500