First ever Buff Ball results in sophomore victory

Adesh+Mishra+serves+ball+for+Junior+team+
Nate Shull
Adesh Mishra serves ball for Junior team

The sophomores rose highest above the net to win Homewood High School’s inaugural Buff Ball competition April 17. 

Similar to Powderpuff football, Buff Ball is a volleyball competition that flips the script so boys compete in matches while girls coach.

Powderpuff is a popular SGA event in the fall, but a lack of similar student competitions in the spring inspired this new volleyball tournament. 

SGA wanted to add another student event to the spring schedule, and that is how Buff Ball [began],” Cooley said. 

In the first round of the tournament, the seniors took on the freshmen, and despite a late rally by the freshmen, the seniors took care of business, punching their ticket to the championship game. 

On the other side of the bracket, the juniors and sophomores battled hard. The sophomores, however, kept their opponents at bay and won in convincing fashion. 

The championship did not disappoint, with early strong spikes and back-and-forth rallies. The quick start set the pace for the rest of the game, as it continued going back and forth until the end. 

In the end, the sophomores outclassed the seniors to claim the title.

Sophomore team huddles during time out. (Nate Shull)

However, many participants weren’t worried about being crowned champions when they signed up. It was an event aimed at fun and building friendships with classmates. 

Sophomore Juan Acevedo Baez was a part of the winning team and can attest to the teamwork aspect of the event. 

“It’s fun that you get to go and rely on your teammates,” Baez said. 

Approximately 55 students signed up to participate, and a few loyal fans were in attendance to support their classmates. 

While attendance at the event was low, the people who did show up had a great time. This was evident from the play on the court, to the energetic cheers from the crowd. SGA Officer at Large, Henry Harrell, testified to the fun that the participants had. 

“The guys that came out had a lot of fun,” Harrell said. “The sophomore guys were really good.”

$1370
$1500