Meeting Miss, Mr. Homewood award winners

BLAKE PEARSON

Maddie Massie (right) and Will Andress (left) waving to onlookers during the 2022 Homecoming parade (photo by Blake Pearson)

Russell Dearing, Staff Writer

Both Maddie Massie and Will Andress are recognizable faces. After all, both seniors are multiyear varsity athletes who hold leadership roles in the school and around the community. And now both students can add another accolade to their resumes as the 2022 Miss and Mr. Homewood. 

Maddie Massie is about as far from a one-trick pony as one can be. As a junior, Massie led the girl’s varsity soccer team to a state championship and now returns as a captain for her senior season. 

She also competes at a club level outside of school, requiring her to travel frequently – another enormous time commitment.

Outside of soccer, Massie is a Peer Helper and the Student Government Association’s Executive Vice President. Furthermore, she works as a docent at the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, giving tours to guests and visitors.  

Massie had two older brothers come through Homewood before her, explaining that “the Homewood community has always been like a second home,” one she loves and cherishes. 

She attributes most of this to her teachers, saying they “are always so supportive” and “are more than just teachers, they’re mentors and friends as well.” 

Maddie Massie receives her MVP honors after a triumphant state championship victory (photo by HHS Athletics)

Massie also credits her love for Homewood to her athletic career. She notes the ways other teams and their fans act, and play, which has further instilled the ideals Homewood holds and values in herself. 

Massie says she is “incredibly grateful” to be named Miss Homewood. She once again ascribes her award to her teachers, conveying that she “love(s) having close relationships” with her teachers, “just because [she] can learn so much from them.”

She believes many of her peers are also worthy of being named Miss Homewood. “That just goes to show how special Homewood is,” she said.  

Will Andress is also no stranger to what Homewood has to offer. He is the president of the Family, Career and Community Leaders of America, an organization dedicated to educating young men and women in Family and Consumer Sciences education. 

Andress is also a member of the tennis team, which this upcoming season looks to repeat the success of last year with another trip to the state tournament.

Will Andress presents a seminar to Element Student Ministries Sunday night gathering (photo contributed by Will Andress)

Outside of school, Andress is heavily involved at Element Student Ministries, the youth group at Trinity United Methodist Church. He gives frequent devotional talks as a part of the group’s leadership team.

The thing Andress loves most about Homewood is how safe and welcoming it is and is always glad to see this appreciation reciprocated by those around him.

Growing up, Andress always saw the “larger-than-life seniors” riding in the convertibles for the Homecoming parade, representing Homewood.

Andress emphasized what an honor this award is and looks forward to continuing to represent Homewood for the rest of his senior year.