Lions outlast late Patriot comeback

Senior Carson Cole locks up Briarwood guard on defense (photo by Russell Dearing)

Russell Dearing, Staff Writer

Homewood’s late second-half surge came too little, too late, as the Patriots boy’s basketball team fell short to the Briarwood Christian Lions 32-37 on Tuesday, Nov. 15.

The Lions jumped to a hot start and ended the first quarter leading 14-3. However, Homewood rallied behind senior Cannon Armstead’s seven points in the second quarter, going into the half only down 21-17. 

Halfway through the third quarter, the tide shifted further into Homewood’s favor as the second unit checked in and brought life and aggression the Patriots had not seen all night, especially from juniors Jake Stephens and Jeremiah Gary.

Kiran McCool sizes up Briarwood defender (photo by Russell Dearing)

Following the tone set by the second team, Homewood continued to attack entering the fourth quarter and took their first lead of the game after an Armstead layup with just under six minutes remaining. 

From there, it was back and forth until a deep go-ahead three from Briarwood’s Grant Mears put the Lions up by five, cementing their victory.

Despite the loss, the Patriots are more than content with the productivity of their second unit, which could prove to be a much-needed edge down the road.

Homewood falls to 2-2 on the season but looks to get back on track this upcoming Thursday, Nov. 17 at Northridge High School.