Soccer teams aim for successful year

Russell Dearing

After last year’s success for both sides, both boys and girls soccer teams hope that translates to the success they have this coming year.

For the boys, they had a very successful run in the playoffs last year, outscoring Pell City, Mountain Brook, and Gardendale 13-0 in the first three rounds. However, they fell to eventual state champions Fort Payne in the final four.

The girls, on the other hand, did what hasn’t been accomplished in its franchise history. They won back-to-back state championships. 

This year the girls are very diverse in age. There are 7 seniors with 11 juniors. Only 4 sophomores and freshmen.

The defenders consist of Caroline Petrella, Susie Whitestt, Mary Holland Jones, Vanessa Rivas, Amelia Blish, Celia Roitman, and Sarah Chavar.

The forwarders include Suzanna Busbee, Sara Elliott, Liesel Kellen, Megan Tucker, and Safia Dahhan.

The midfielders feature Evelyn Crimi, Valerie Rivas, Annie McBride, Hollis Tangye, Chandler York, Madelyn Thompson, Sadie Busbee, Ryanne Ezekiel, and Kardyn Spears.

To conclude, Audrey Major will cover the goalkeeping position. 

The team lost some good players in collegiate commits including Grace Studinka, Maddie Massie, and Sunny Ferren. However, Coach Sean McBride thinks that this problem fuels his team rather than hurts.

“That’s the beauty of high school sports,” McBride said. “You lose kids you’ve been coaching for 3-4 years, then you have to rebuild. Which is the fun part of coaching.”

McBride also has faith in the older kids on the roster to really set the tone for this season. Considering they have the most experience.

They are also trying to complete the school’s first three-peat. McBride thinks his team has a chance to make it happen.

“We have a tough schedule from top to bottom,” McBride said. “But I believe that these girls can come together and work as a team to once again get to the top.”

The boys celebrating a 4-0 second-round victory over Mountain Brook (Russell Dearing)

For the boys, the offense begins with Midfielders Alex Barron, Charley Chewning, Haines Durkin, Amon Kaplelach, Giovanni Lopez, and Gid Malone.

Forwarders are Remy Durena, Drew Giardina, Cooper Gillis, Charlie Herring, Will Jackson, Banks Landgren, William Lewis, and Andy Platt.

Defenders are Jeff Giffin, Turner Gray, Brooks Harwell, Jackson Kittinger, Allen Shanks, and Mac and Charlie Webb.

To conclude, the goalkeeper will be Jacob Hill.

The boys also have a similar problem, having 2 college signees, Drew Vinson and Dobbs Durkin, leave the team last spring.

For boys soccer coach Julian Kersh, this roster is young. 13 seniors graduated from last year, and more than half of the team was moved from Freshmen or JV to Varsity when the rosters were announced in November with 11 returners from last year’s squad. But Kersh doesn’t see this as a horrible thing.

“We lost some good players,” Kersh said. “But all our returners are very key and impactful and all bring something to the table this year.”

When asked if there are any key players, Kersh said most of the seniors are the ship steerers for this squad.

“We have leadership in Jackson Kittinger,” Kersh adds. “Along with elite shooting from Will Jackson and Banks Landgren, and solid defense from Turner Gray and Charlie Webb. Just to name a few.”

Both boys and girls kick off their seasons within this week. The girls travel up North to the Rocket City to face the Huntsville Panthers on February 2nd, while the boys host Jackson-Olin at home on February 5th, both teams hoping that they can have stellar seasons.

$1320
$1500