HHS teachers, students share Thanksgiving traditions

Art by Patrick Ingram.

Whether it’s watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade or cutting the turkey, Thanksgiving is filled with traditions to celebrate with friends and family.

Many annual events and traditions take place, but some traditions are unique to people celebrating Thanksgiving.

English teacher and baseball coach at Homewood High School, Keith Brown celebrates Thanksgiving with different themes for each year.

“One year we did a ballpark Thanksgiving, eating hamburgers and hot dogs and another year we had a Mexican Christmas Thanksgiving,” Brown said. 

Senior Maren Smith’s annual Thanksgiving tradition, celebrated with her family, is cooking her great-grandmother’s green beans and her grandmother’s apple pie.

“Being able to relax and catch up with my family, I think, is the best part of Thanksgiving,” Smith said.

Junior Kat VanRiper celebrates Thanksgiving with family by eating a Thanksgiving meal and making pineapple upside-down cake.

Not only do people have traditions at home, but many travel for the holiday.

Sophomore Liam Owens travels to a farm in Scottsboro, Ala., makes turkeys to feed his family and goes on a hay ride.

Senior Spencer Wright also travels for the holiday to see his family at his grandma’s house in California.

These traditions are celebrated by so many Americans on Thanksgiving with friends, family, food and fun to kick off the holiday season each year.

$1320
$1500