Market grand opening gives hope to community

Timmy Collins
Volunteers and Trinity staff members gathered for the ribbon cutting ceremony in front of the market building.

The church began its food share program three years ago, but grants and community donations led to the opening of the new market that allows people to shop for food throughout the week now as well.

The grand opening was not only in honor of the building but everyone who is a part of it.

“The event [was] a wonderful celebration of our new ministry space but more importantly it [was] a celebration with the community of folks from around the world that has been brought together as a result of our ministry,” said Outreach Hub volunteer Phella Patterson.

The event kicked off with a ribbon cutting by the Homewood Chamber of Commerce, followed by music, food and a celebration of every culture represented.

The Outreach Hub’s programs have evolved from just Tuesday Food Share to also having Thursday shopping appointments, English classes on Monday nights, and now the market is open for shopping on Monday nights before class and throughout the week.

Refugees from Afghanistan, Syria, Sudan, Vietnam, Colombia, Morocco, Mexico and many other countries participate and create community at the Hub through the programs offered.

Amin Sherzad, a refugee from Afghanistan said that since he moved to Homewood, the sense of community created by the Hub has greatly helped him and his family transition.

“It’s always a good feeling to be in a community,” he said.

The community gathered in Trinity West’s parking lot to celebrate the market opening with food and music. (Timmy Collins)

The grand opening took place in the parking lot and community field, with tents of food lining the parking lot, bounce houses, soccer and volleyball on the field and community members, staff, volunteers, and refugees mingling throughout.

Haley Scallions, Trinity’s Community Connection Coordinator, saw the event bringing people closer and building relationships.

“I thought it was really incredible to see so many people from different walks of life and different faiths and different backgrounds come together and celebrate something that is so great for our community,” she said.

Scallions said that she loved looking at the field and seeing kids from different schools and social groups playing together when they may not have otherwise.

In the parking lot of the campus in front of the newly opened market, there were tents set up, each dedicated to a different country’s food. Families who participate in the Outreach Hub’s programs cooked their favorite foods from their home country, covering the tables with freshly made dishes.

Hamid Afzal, a refugee from Afghanistan, said that the event allowed everyone to experience the cultures and dishes of countries from around the world– something he could not do in Afghanistan.

He said that this event was the first time that many of the refugees have seen celebration among so many people since they moved to Homewood.

Edna Vazquez, a staff member at the Outreach Hub, says that she hopes that the new building can aid in their efforts to help current and future refugees feel welcomed and like they have a place.

The celebration bridged the gap between the refugees, volunteers, church members and members of the community, being a celebration for and of everyone.

“It was great to have so many people from different cultures, different races, different religions all together like this,” said Hub volunteer Jason Ware. “It really makes you optimistic about the world.”

David Thompson, executive pastor at Trinity said the event was an exciting time to gather all the different groups who have participated in making it how great it is– not just the staff who organized it, but the volunteers and guests who participate in the Hub’s programs.

“[We] all gathered together to say we’re grateful for this place and what it’s doing and what it will do,” he said.

$1370
$1500