Patriots face toughest test yet, host Pinson Valley

#1 Amare Thomas and #5 Jackson Parris are both star wide receivers for their respective teams.

Henry Sklar, Sports Editor

Homewood’s (4-1, 3-0, No. 10 in 6A) matchup with Pinson Valley (2-2, 1-1, No. 8 in 6A) has been circled on the calendar for months. After escaping three high-octane matchups, the Patriots have a chance to cement themselves as true contenders in 6A with a battle against one of the most talented teams in the state.

Pinson Valley is headlined by the Metcalf brothers, who are cousins with Seattle Seahawks wide receiver D.K Metcalf. TJ, the oldest of the two, is a three-star safety committed to the University of Arkansas.

“[TJ] Metcalf is a true free safety who can cover from sideline to sideline and come down the alley punishing running backs,” says Rivals national analyst Ryan Wright.

His brother Tevis Metcalf is a three-star defensive back. According to Wright, he is “one of five prospects in the Southeast that have enjoyed healthy rises this fall.”

Wide receiver Amare Thomas is another Power Five prospect the Indians plan to field. According to Zach Carey for SB Nation, Thomas “is an elusive speedster who is hard to bring down when given any space.”

Among the stars is sophomore Keywone Posey, the starting quarterback for the Indians. Posey is a threat on every play, acting with great elusiveness in the pocket to escape and gain big yards with his legs.

Though Pinson’s star power will make plays, no team in 6A is as battle-tested as Homewood. Star quarterback Woods Ray was effective as advertised, going for more than 300 scrimmage yards in Homewood’s previous three games. Wide receiver Jackson Parris has made numerous big plays, including two 50-plus-yards touchdowns last week against Benjamin Russell. While the Patriot defense has shown vulnerability due to the lack of experience, young players such as Talton Thomas have stepped up to help Homewood win their previous three games.

Pinson Valley is a 13-point favorite, though Homewood has covered the spread in their last three games.

Kickoff is 7 p.m. at Waldrop Stadium.