The Student News Site of Homewood High School

The Homewood Tricorne

The Homewood Tricorne

The Homewood Tricorne

Elementary students get sneak peek of Friday Night Lights

Young Homewood kids get to join the cheerleaders, dance team and student section at high school football games
Scott Butler
Hall Kent elementary schoolers welcome the football team to the field

School spirit starts at a young age in Homewood. 

For the past three years, Homewood elementary school students have had the opportunity to take the field and cheer on the varsity football team alongside the Homewood Patriot band, cheerleaders and Lettermen during pregame celebrations. 

The tradition was established by the Homewood Athletic Foundation and aims to give younger students the opportunity to get involved with high school athletics. 

Dr. Wendy Story, the principal of Shades Cahaba Elementary, has attended this event since it began and has seen its impact on the kids firsthand.  “They love to be there, they love to show their support for their high school, and they feel like they’re a part of something bigger than themselves.” 

Pregame begins with the band’s playing of the national anthem, God Bless America and the Homewood alma mater. When the band moves into the second set of pregame, the elementary schoolers walk onto the field, carrying posters and banners they created. Following this, the band plays the fight song as the football team takes the field. 

Last year, a group of Hall Kent Elementary schoolers created another elementary school night tradition: Junior Lettermen. 

The Junior Lettermen have the opportunity to do the same painted-on jersey as the high school lettermen and go into the student section to cheer on the team alongside them. 

Marie Pasco, mother of two Junior Lettermen, took note of the inclusivity that the high school Lettermen provided.

“I just loved that they were so interactive with the elementary kids,” she said. “[They] took them under their wing, and were hanging out with them.”

“It gives us a good chance to show the boys what their future could hold,” Pasco added.

The ability to interact with the high schoolers gives elementary students an idea of what high school athletics entail, as well as what they’d like to participate in when they become high schoolers. 

Hall Kent’s Elementary Night took place on September 8. Shades Cahaba Night will be on October 20 and Edgewood Night will follow on November 3. 

“It’s just a really great opportunity to let our little ones see what all our big kids do,” Story said.

Donate to The Homewood Tricorne
$1370
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

If you are enjoying our content, please consider donating to The Homewood Tricorne! Your donation will support the student journalists of Homewood High School and will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website costs.

Donate to The Homewood Tricorne
$1370
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal