Living the Homewood Spirit

Each month HHS honors a student who exhibits the school’s target attributes
Students+park+at+this+parking+spot+during+the+month+they+have+won+the+award.+It+is+located+directly+in+front+of+the+school.+
Emerson Buck
Students park at this parking spot during the month they have won the award. It is located directly in front of the school.

The Homewood High School Student of the Month award is an award for senior students who exhibit great character and display the attributes of the Homewood Spirit. 

Former senior assistant principal, Eddie Cunningham, led the program while he was here. 

Now, Ganae Gaines, one of Homewood High School’s assistant principals, is in charge of determining the student each month. 

“We have amazing students in our building so it’s important to showcase and recognize them for doing what is right,” Gaines said. 

Teachers are given the opportunity to nominate seniors each month for the award based on the six attributes of the Homewood spirit. 

Respect yourself, others, and the environment.

Make good choices, even when no one is watching.

Celebrate uniqueness, everyone is different.

Words matter, think before you speak.

Seek ways to serve others.

Be your personal best in all you do.

Students who are awarded Student of the Month not only win social media recognition, which gets shared with local news agencies but also a prime parking spot. 

“I typically ask the teachers to provide an explanation of why they are recommending the students, which is by far my favorite part of the process,” Gaines said. 

November winner Lucy Jimenez says she has seen direct impacts of her winning the award. 

“It’s getting you out there for job opportunities.” Jimenez said, “I’ve already gotten to babysit for some teacher’s kids.” 

Jimenez was nominated by Mrs. Drake and Mrs. Stoffrogen, her youth leadership teachers. Stoffrogen and Drake recognized her diligence in mentoring middle and elementary school students and saw it fit for recognition. 

Jimenez goes three days a week to help kids with their homework and hang out with the young children. 

Her character is a model for what teachers are supposed to look for when nominating students. 

The year’s winners thus far are Olivia Dunn, Barrett Bridgmon, Evan Smiley, Lucy Jiminez and Charles Webb. 

In the future, Gaines is hoping to merge with the Character Education program to recognize more students of each grade level. 

$1320
$1500