Classroom enviroment, student impacts

Patrick Ingram
Display of Chad Cooley’s decorations in his classroom.

With fluorescent lights, rows of desks and bland walls within classrooms, decorations are essential to create a positive classroom environment.

Decorating classrooms is a great way for teachers to express their personalities and surround students with the subject they are learning about.

Coach and ninth-grade English teacher Keith Brown has decorations covering the walls of his classroom. 

One trend Brown started was having couches in the classroom. 

“My ideal classroom would have bean-bag chairs, I can’t stand desks,” Brown said. 

Brown believes it doesn’t directly improve learning, but makes the classroom environment feel like a living room.

Senior Andrik Reyes Melgarejo believes that decorations are good in a classroom to surround the students with positive environments for learning.

“Not having decorations makes me almost sleepy because there’s nothing to stimulate my mind,” Reyes said.

Reyes believes decorating for certain events and holidays is important for the festivity of the time, letting the students feel more comfortable with some familiarity. 

Reyes’ says he only has had a few classes with little to no decorations. Reyes finds these classes to be hard to focus in.

Homewood High School English teacher Chad Cooley believes decorations are crucial to the classroom environment.

“It’s important to know your teacher through their decorations to feel more comfortable in the classroom,” Cooley said

As it turns out, decorations are essential to the classroom environment to stimulate the student’s minds and help them feel more comfortable.

$1320
$1500