Theater students perform classic, whodunit comedy ‘Clue’

Homewood+students+perform+a+scene+from+Clue+on+opening+night+of+their+production.+
Evie Driskill
Homewood students perform a scene from “Clue” on opening night of their production.

The Homewood High School theater department debuted its adaptation of the beloved mystery “Clue” last night. Filled with humor, mystery and memorable characters, “Clue” is a wildly entertaining play that features the talents of many HHS students. 

The members of the HHS drama department have been working hard throughout the fall to perfect an entertaining show that brings a different style than last year’s production.

The theater department performed “A Christmas Carol” last fall, as a traditional black-box theater play with minimal props, limited set design and majority scene based. They are now excited to be performing a full-length play, with an elaborate set and suspenseful storyline.

Junior Camille Lucas, playing both the maid, Yvette, and the Motorist, has been a member of the HHS Theater department since freshman year.

“With “Clue” there are a lot of important set pieces and props that we really had to get creative with,” she said. “We really have a lot of fun with each other too. We’re all really creative and we just build and build off one another.”

Lucas showcases her wide array of talents and creativity through her two roles, adeptly portraying the classic characters from the titular movie. 

The cast’s comradery shines through their performance as they are comfortable around each other and perform well together on stage.

“They’re my people,” Lucas said of her castmates. “That’s who I get along with and they’re all so supportive. We’re really like a family.” 

To add to the excitement of the play, the actors frequently walk or run through the rows of seats in the audience, making the audience feel as if they are involved in the production.

Jason Kennah, head of the theater department, put a lot of thought into his decision when picking a play for the fall, and “Clue” ticked a lot of boxes.

“I wanted to do a show that is contemporary, that people would understand and know,” Kennah said.  “It’s also my daughter’s favorite movie and favorite board game, so it was an easy one for me”.

Every member of the cast plays a crucial role in making the play the elaborate production that it is. Whether it’s the costume department, flunkies, props department, lighting department, or actors, every student is important and valued in HHS theater.

The thrilling story of Clue” is sure to leave the audience members on the edge of their seats as they watch the plot unfold before them, captivated by the actors impressive performances.

Performances continue tonight and tomorrow at 7 p.m. in the theater at Homewood High School, and tickets are $15 at the door.

For those interested in seeing more performance art from HHS students, the improv comedy classes will perform their show in the spring, and the theater department will perform “Romeo and Juliet,” which will have auditions open to the entire school. 

$1370
$1500