The Student News Site of Homewood High School

The Homewood Tricorne

The Homewood Tricorne

The Homewood Tricorne

Deciding weather-related school closures

Tree+down+in+Homewood%2C+AL+after+the+storm.+
Morgan Maddox
Tree down in Homewood, AL after the storm.

Recent severe weather and resulting school cancelations have raised many questions regarding E-learning days and Homewood City Schools’ inclement weather day, which is scheduled for April 19. 

When school cancelations occur, either the individual school system has made the call, or the governor has declared a State of Emergency. 

The governor declares a state of emergency when there is a widespread weather event affecting the majority of the state. These cancelations don’t disrupt the E-learning day in April. 

The governor’s communication staff reaches out to all state agencies informing them of a state of emergency school closure. 

“We transfer that message to all of our superintendents and it goes down from there,” Michael Sibley, Alabama State Department of Education Communications Director said. 

School systems in Alabama have local authority consisting of a school board and local superintendent. Individual school systems have the power to make a collaborative decision to close outside of a state of emergency if necessary.

“It is that leadership who makes the determination as to whether a school closes,” Sibley said. 

When weather threats arise, Homewood City Schools monitors the forecast and collaborates with several entities. HCS often contacts the Emergency Management Agency office, local first responders, city leaders, the State Department of Education and neighboring school systems to decide how to best proceed.

School systems must consider various factors when deciding on school closures, delays, or early dismissals, especially when inclement weather is forecasted,” Merrick Wilson, Homewood City Schools communications director said.  

Multiple trees in Homewood were ripped out of the ground from recent severe weather.

HCS not only assesses the roads in Homewood to ensure traveling is safe for students and parents but also in locations where faculty and staff live elsewhere. 

“Staff members must be in the schools before students arrive in the buildings. We have to ensure our staff can commute safely before the doors open,” Wilson said. 

The maintenance staff assess the school’s power supply, HVAC and structural support before faculty and staff arrive. 

Weather timing is also considered to ensure inclement weather doesn’t conflict with school commuting time. 

The Alabama State Department of Education asks schools to inform them when schools are closing since there are about 150 school systems in Alabama. School systems log onto their website to create a running tally of open and closed schools. 

Homewood City schools will use up to three E-days before canceling the built inclement weather day in April. As of right now, Homewood City Schools has only used one of the three E-days. 

Donate to The Homewood Tricorne
$1320
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

If you are enjoying our content, please consider donating to The Homewood Tricorne! Your donation will support the student journalists of Homewood High School and will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website costs.