The Student News Site of Homewood High School

The Homewood Tricorne

The Homewood Tricorne

The Homewood Tricorne

HHS celebrates Black History Month

Last year´s Black History Month Program

The annual Homewood High School Black History Month Program, held this year on February 22, features a variety of speakers and performances to celebrate African American heritage and culture. 

This year’s national theme for Black History Month is “Celebrating African Americans in the Arts.” This theme allows 11th grade English teacher Angela Gant to highlight the talented African American students involved in the arts at HHS. 

“We sometimes add words to the theme,” Gant said. “Last year, we added our own twist to the theme “Our Voice” and added “Our Voice is Our Resistance.”       

Gant has been planning the program by preparing the lineup of speakers and performers. “I primarily start with my own students.” Gant said. “I know their capabilities, I know their skill level.”  

However, there are many opportunities for the whole school to get involved in the program. “The idea has always been to incorporate each one of our pods.” Gant said. Students and faculty contribute to the program by speaking, performing, or helping with behind the scenes work.

Members of the HHS Heritage Panel held an informational session in the library providing details on some of the aspects of the program. They previewed the topics to be discussed at the program to give students a better idea of how the program will be set up.

This year, the program is heavily influenced by the Harlem Renaissance, a movement that highlighted African American culture and art. The Heritage Panel said that the goal is for “black culture and talent to be showcased to the world.”

One question asked by the HHS Heritage Panel was “how do we bridge the gap between what we are learning in school and how we are living?” The panel hopes that students will reflect on this question while watching the program.

A new addition to the program was the decision to add elementary school participation to the assembly. Gant and others chose 3rd grader Maya Gaines to deliver a spoken word piece in the program.

“We want to back up and start preparing the next generation as early as possible so that they see value and take pride in their culture,” Gant said. She hopes that the first appearance by an elementary schooler will help “break barriers and educate people”.

Also highlighted in the program are sisters Kayla and Chloe Warren. Chloe will be singing accompanied by Kayla on the piano. “These performances show ability. We do many things well outside of sports.¨ Gant said.  

Gant wants to feature as many performers and speakers as possible to truly honor the theme of the program. 

The Black History Month Program is not only held to honor and celebrate African American culture, but also serves as a way to educate people of  unique talents possessed by  African American youth at HHS.      

Donate to The Homewood Tricorne
$1320
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

If you are enjoying our content, please consider donating to The Homewood Tricorne! Your donation will support the student journalists of Homewood High School and will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website costs.