Unique HHS hobbies outweigh screen time

Banks+Aycocks+home+aquarium.+
Banks Aycock
Banks Aycock’s home aquarium.

Among all of the phone-based forms of entertainment, the question arises, who are the people preserving hobbies in this age of digital dependency?

A poll taken of the HHS student body indicated that 68% of the respondents preferred hobbies over phones. The poll confirmed hobbies are still more popular. 

Senior Caleb Flores prefers hobbies because he feels hobbies give you something to do when you’re bored.

Flores does video editing for Children’s Discipleship Ministries.

The company contacts and requests him to edit their instructional videos.

“I edit the videos that are sent to me and I create overlays, graphics and slides,” Flores said

Junior Banks Aycock has the unique hobby of aquarium keeping.

Aycock has been aquarium keeping since he was young, with his parents taking care of them until he was old enough to do it on his own.

Banks Aycock’s Oscar cichlid.

Aycock has one 75-gallon tank with an Oscar cichlid and a 20-gallon tank with Betta fish and Neon Tetras.

“I’ve always liked sea life, fish and animals so when I was younger I just wanted a slice of the ocean,” Aycock said.

Aycock likes aquarium keeping because it gives him a place to enjoy away from school and friends.

Sophomore Graham Steele does music reviews in his free time.

“I like to do music reviews for myself and test different sound sources to hear the difference,” Steele said.

He enjoys comparing the sounds of different earbuds or headphones.

Steele has this pastime simply because he enjoys music and thinks it’s fun to compare the songs.

Steele got into this activity after he was introduced to it by the large community that also shares this hobby.

Another hobby involving music is sophomore Ethan Mullis’s hobby of music production.

“I got into music production because I was already good at music so I wanted to make a hobby out of it and now I think it’s really fun,” Mullis said.

Mullis uses the program LogicPro on his Macbook in his room with his 19 instruments.

All of these students enjoy their hobbies because they are an escape from any daily responsibilities, are something to enjoy and something they can learn from.

$1320
$1500