Tennis teams ready for a successful season

Boys tennis team at 2023 state match. Photo Cred: Terrance Cobb

After the Homewood High School boys tennis team finished in a strong 2nd at the state tournament last year, both the boys and girls teams are aiming for another strong year of competition. 

The teams are ready to get matchplay started on Feb. 2 at the Muscle Shoals Trojan Classic. 

Head tennis coach and assistant band director Terrance Cobb thinks the season is off to a great start. 

“Over the first couple weeks of practice, I feel like we are already at a higher level than we were in years past,” Cobb said. “We have a lot of veteran leadership returning so that has helped us get off on a good foot.” 

On the girls side, there are many returning talented players that will help contribute to the team’s success this season. Their motivation for the season has spurred from the boys’ historic acheivements last year. 

“They are more hungry than when we have started in the past,” Cobb said. “The motivation is there, and I know they really want to have a successful season.”

Junior and member of the state runners-up team Colton Cox said the team was in good spirits after their finish in April. 

“It was the first time in about 37 years that the Homewood boy’s tennis team placed top two,” Cox said. “Everybody knows everyone, and we have some new freshmen that have been added to the team. I honestly feel pretty good about the season.” 

Both teams practice twice a week. On days where a respective team does not have school practice, they are in clinics with their own coaches, the majority of whom play through the Homewood Tennis Club. There are typically two matches a week and sometimes three when necessary. 

Matchplay is crucial for building up the team’s stamina and keeping spirits high throughout the regular season. 

“We just have to win the matches we need to win and hopefully make it to state,” Cox said. “It will be fun to see what we can do.”

Since tennis is a team sport, everyone’s individual talents are highly utilized throughout the season. Cobb believes certain players are needed in critical moments throughout the season to maximize the team’s success. 

“We want to be the best versions of ourselves,” Cobb said. “Everyone is needed to contribute to the team, and making sure we get the best out of our players and our experiences is our main goal.”

$1370
$1500