The Student News Site of Homewood High School

The Homewood Tricorne

The Homewood Tricorne

The Homewood Tricorne

Show choirs begin year with fall show

Samir Abdullah
The Network Show Choir Group performing at Nationals last year. The group finished as first runner-up in the national competition.

After months of preparation, all three Homewood High show choirs are excited to present their fall shows scheduled for Nov. 6 in the auditorium at 7 p.m.

Continuum, the freshman group, will open their show with a mix of “No Place Like Home” and “Power” with Caroline Boney as a soloist. They will also do “Man in the Mirror” with soloists Parks Murray and Thatcher Firth. To finish off their show, they will perform “Eye of the Tiger.”

The main director for Continuum, Cody McDonald, has high praise for this group.

“They have definitely made a good transition from middle to high school,” he said. “They are all representative of each other and build each other up.”

McDonald is in his first year being a show choir director, previously at the middle school. He is very excited to take on this new role.

“High school is very different from middle school,” McDonald said. “We are able to get deeper into songs and choreography at the high school level. We can do more together because in middle school, I only saw students for a limited time, but I can be with them every day here at the high school, which is very nice compared to directing at the middle school.”

The all-girls group Nexus will perform a show featuring a solo from Shelby Parks in “Journey to the Past,” along with “In his Eyes” and finishing with “Break the World.” 

Nexus captain Kennedy Galloway thinks very highly of this year’s group.

“They’re all unique and bring something to the table for Nexus,” Galloway said. “That’s what is special about this group, we are all really close to each other. I cannot wait to see what this special group can accomplish this year.”

The Network, the top show choir group at Homewood, will open with “New Year’s Day,” followed by “Times Are Changing” with soloist Mika Marriott. They will end with a rendition of “Free Bird.”

For the final piece, all three show choir groups will perform “Tears on an Angel” and “Once Upon a December” with Piper Harris doing a solo. They will finish with “I Just Want to be Happy” with soloists Caleb Flores, Quinn Boney and Ethan Martin.

Boney thinks that this piece will be a good crowd-pleaser. 

“It’s really cool to see all the groups perform together,” Boney said. “It’s cool to see everyone from freshmen to seniors coming together to make one song sound good. The crowd is going to be surprised. This year there are a lot of differences in set design and song choice from what we usually do. I think people will like it a lot.”

For director Byron Mosquera, this season is special because it’s his first year as the head director for Homewood show choirs. He wants to continue the morals of the Homewood Show Choir department while remembering the legacy of previous director Scott Thorne. 

“I definitely have some shoes to fill, that’s for sure,” Mosquera said. “I’m excited to do things, but I also want to keep the tradition that Thorne had on the Homewood Show Choir. But I’m not Mr. Thorne, so I’m not trying to recreate what he did. I want to use my creative brain to make the shows while incorporating the tradition and morals that this show choir follows.” 

There’s no better way to see all the hard work that has been put in by these groups of kids than to come to the fall show. Admission is free.

Donate to The Homewood Tricorne
$1370
$1500
Contributed
Our Goal

If you are enjoying our content, please consider donating to The Homewood Tricorne! Your donation will support the student journalists of Homewood High School and will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website costs.