“He demonstrated love and caring in his actions each and every day”

The Homewood Patriot Marching Band remembers Hack Hackworth
Hack at We Love Homewood Day. For 31 years, Herbert Hackworth drove trucks, carried instructions and did everything else he could to support the Homewood High School marching band. (Photo contributed by Chris Cooper)
“Hack” at We Love Homewood Day. For 31 years, Herbert Hackworth drove trucks, carried instructions and did everything else he could to support the Homewood High School marching band. (Photo contributed by Chris Cooper)

This summer, a beloved member of the Homewood Patriot Marching Band passed away. 

Herbert “Hack” Hackworth, a dedicated volunteer of the band, leaves behind a selfless legacy of support for Homewood. 

Hackworth began volunteering with the band in 1991 when his daughter Mandy started high school and joined the color guard. In December of Mandy’s junior year, she tragically passed away in a car accident. 

In memory of his daughter, Hackworth continued to volunteer with the band for over 31 years. Hackworth traveled to five Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parades, three Rose Parades, five trips to Orlando, Florida, two trips to Washington DC, a Philadelphia Thanksgiving Parade and anywhere the band went for Friday night football games. 

In memory of Hackworth, the Homewood Patriot Band and the Birmingham Bagpiper will be performing Amazing Grace at the football game against Helena High School on Sept. 8. 

Chris Cooper, the director of the Homewood Band, recalled one of his favorite memories of Hackworth.

“We were in Orlando, and he saw our winter guard performance, and he cried all the way through it,” Cooper said. “Hack really loved the guard, and that’s why we have an award named after him… The Hack Hackworth Award for Outstanding Guard Student.” 

Hackworth’s devotion to the band could be seen in everything he did. Anywhere the band went, he was driving one of the band trucks. 

David Haywood, Hackworth’s fellow truck driver, recalled one of his favorite memories of Hack. During a halftime show, he and Haywood were hustling back to the truck on an errand. In the distance they could hear the band playing. 

“Hack stopped and said, ‘Listen, you hear that? That beautiful music. That’s why I do it’,” Haywood said. 

When he wasn’t driving the band truck, Hackworth helped with everything from fixing drum carriers to painting stands; he even had his own office. 

“There are so many things in this room that he has touched with love,” Cooper said.

“It was more than just giving back,” said former band director Ron Pence. “It was the kindness that he showed to each and every kid at Homewood High School with all of his heart each and every day.”

$1370
$1500

$1370
$1500